when it gets as cold as it is right now (3°F at noon) i always struggle with what to wear for running. fleet feet sent out an email today with good suggestions for cold weather running attire. i thought i would share it. you can find more info on fleet feet’s winter gear suggestion page.
General Rules of ‘Numb’
- Dress as if it is 20 degrees warmer
- Think layers of technical fabrics to wick sweat
- Zippers at the neck or gloves you can adjust will help you regulate as you heat up
- 30 degree weather: 2 tops, 1 bottom. Long sleeve base layer and a vest to keep your core warm. Tights (or shorts) for you polar bears.
- 10-20 degrees: 2 tops, 2 bottoms. A jacket over your base layer and wind pants over your tights.
- 0-10 degrees: 3 tops, 2 bottoms. Two tops (fleece for the cold prone) and a jacket. Windbrief for the men.
- -10 to 0 degrees: 3 tops, 2 bottoms, an extra pair of mittens, 1 scarf or neckwarmer wrapped around mouth or a balaclava.
- -20 degrees weather: 3 tops, 3 bottoms, 1 balaclava, sunglasses.